Sunday 8 August 2010

A lot has happened since February



After that dreadful winter day that brought misery to my life once again (the third break down) I have spend 6 months patching, splicing and dropping things into the herald, most importantly of course is the new engine, I say new, it's actually old but it works which is more than could be said about the old one! the new engine however is a 13/60 (I have no history of this engine I just know it looks and feels as if it's done less mileage than the old one). I'm still waiting on the DVLA to tell me whether I have enough evidence to change the V5 (it's been weeks...)

Despite taking time sourcing the engine, (from eBay may I add) it was relatively pain free dropping it into the car, I spend a lot of time working on the engine bay before the engine arrived, an opportunity one rarely gets.

I recently got some welding done on the rear outriggers and the boot, thanks to a good family friend called Tim who kindly spent the entire day on the job, and it was almost a completely uneventful day until he lowered the jack on the rear of the car and was greeted by a rolling car and ended up half way under the car (avoiding being crushed by a whisker). The rear drivers side outrigger was rusted through and now has a completely new outrigger welded on. The offside rear outrigger has been patched because it was not in such bad condition.



Herald on ramps before outrigger weld.



Weld in boot.

Today I have been attempting to mend a large hole in the passenger foot-well (from a crash it's had previously, and on re-assembling the panels one was damaged beyond repair, it was only made of cardboard and over 40 years has perished (I don't blame it), and so my father and I put together a wood replacement, spray painted black, with a hinge (it was a devil to get in but my god it looks neat;



Unfortunately due to the length of time I've been working on the car I've had to declare her SORN because the tax and MOT ran out, and I don't have an MOT certificate at the moment so I can't renew the tax! So once I've heard back from the DVLA (assuming it's good news) I can get some insurance get an MOT (and pray for a pass) and then get taxed. So much to do and I've pretty much lost the summer. I move down to Canterbury in the next month and leave the car with my parents (sorry). I will try and keep you up to date with the new engine and the MOT issues, whenever it may be.

No comments: